flame-news and TIG

re : how TIG runs
First as an inferno artist, I enjoy the way Rob runs TIG , I get the digest
version so i can keep across telecine issues, especially film stock and
C-reality/Sprit issues. Many of my fellow senior inferno artist do this..
for a couple of reasons.
1. This group has some excellent highly technical contributors who's
opinions I have grown to value greatly.
2. Unlike what is suggested below, good compositors and visual effects
supervisors care greatly about how the film is planned, shot, transfered and
all the skill that goes into creating the mood and feeling of a piece by a
good colourist. I have been very lucky to work with some excellent colourist
here in Sydney and I often even invite them into complex inferno regrades
as, again, I have respect for their eye on the look of a shot.. the fact I
am operating the buttons is irrelevant.

In answer to the Flame-news question.. it is different from TIG in that it
is run by Discreet for Discreet Effects users.. and yet it is self
moderating. I don't say it is better .. just different .. much more
technical unix skills than film technology skills of course.. but we are
primarily inferno/flame artists .. not inferno techos.. so perhaps this
would explain the "graphic heads" comment below.

Anyway from a major TIG lurker for many many years now.. Just a huge thank
you for the wealth of info and in particular to Rob for what is an
unbelieveable contribution to the industry as a whole for doing this list..

mike

>     OK, I'll fess up to my ignorance.  What is the Flame-News list?  Might
> someone fill me in as to how to access the intelligent debate I've been
> missing?

Message to 'Flame-news-request at discreet.com'. A simple 'help' in the
text will get you info for this sea of noise. It's a nice list if you
have time to weed out all of the graphic heads who want to know who this
guy 'root' is. I found most of the posts regarding telecine to be
defensive positions by those who own a given technology, aimed to those
pen and tablet wielders who really don't care how their tapes got to
them in the first place.

Although, I'm constantly amazed at the great quality of sparks available
to these artists. Telecine manufacturers need only look at the number of
licensable applets available in Flame or Fire to get some great ideas on
what colorists want today. They make it so easy to add a coral wash,
grain, scratches, vignettes, film burn, etc. with all kinds of handles
on the technique. I know that these aren't real time effects but some
days I feel like we are all working in the stone age.

______________________________________
Mike Seymour
Snr. Inferno Artist, Omnicon
http://visualeffects.net

"Y2K: Jan 1 is on a Saturday, so if the world ends thats OK...
- we've all had weekends like that". -former head of the FCC

---
Thanks to Cinesite for support in 1999
1042 subscribers in 41 countries on Thu Jun 17 15:00:54 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com