Re: DIVX

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:03:19 -0400, you wrote:
>Heard a news announcement on a local radio station that the plug was pulled
>on DIVX yesterday due to lack of interest from consumers and trouble
>negotiating deals with studios.  They didn't say what this means for those
>who bought into the technology, but I'd guess that the disks and players
>will be collectors' items someday!

Amazingly, the outgoing PR spin on this is that the product was doing well.

It is to laugh.

Those that bought into it from the supply end will deservedly lose a lot of
money. From the consumer end, the decks are standard DVD compatible, so
aside form having paid extra when buying the decks, there's no need to buy
a new deck. And there may be some sort of rebate in place to refund some of
the extra cost.

Every once in a while, sanity prevails.

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE® compositing.

Thanks to Cinesite for support in 1999
1041 subscribers in 41 countries on Thu Jun 17 09:44:47 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com