Re: Telecine and the future????

>Nowadays I don't get
>FILM dailies, I get video dailies.
> Well for my purposes they are insufficient and misleading. Simply
>because there is the attempt to make them look so good. I need to know
>what I am getting on the NEG, not what can be done in the transfer.
>Especially for a film finish.

Hi again,
     As Martin said, we have to shoehorn the contrast range of film into the
video world.  Telecine dailies will never be fim dailies on any tier of
machine.
     A one light will show you all the warts as best as the medium is
capable, but I wouldn't want to base my edit decisions on such a transfer!
Many a time I've seen shots that were perfectly salvageable not used in a
final cut because they looked bad on the dailies.
     There has to be some give and take!  The best course, as ever, is for
the DP to _communicate_ with the colorist.  The more we know what you want,
the more likely you are to get it.  Sometimes just a chat after the transfer
can fill in a lot of blanks, too.
Bob Lovejoy
Shooters Post & Transfer

---
Thanks to Cinesite for support in 1999
1044 subscribers in 41 countries on Tue Jun 15 14:30:20 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com