Re: USC/SMPTE Electronic Cinema

"Michael C. Kaye" wrote many questions:

> Having already seen the same side by side demos, I did not attend this one.
> I am curious to know however, how large the images were projected on the
> screen and how far away from the screen were you?

Mike,

Full screen. Norris Theater. Choice middle location. I'm guessing most
elements were 1.85:1, All were flat.

>  Did you notice any "screendoor" effect with the Hughes projector?  Were there any color or
> res charts at the front of the roll?

No screen door. There was RP40 projected by all systems electronic and
traditional. One electronic showed a bit of resolution falloff on one
side.

> You commented that "there was a conscious effort to color
> match the film".  What specifically do you mean?  Did you mean that they
> over did it in telecine?

Bill Hogan can clarify this, but I believe that a projected print was
available in telecine to compare color to. The projected source was
obviously print, the telecine elements were IP transferred from both
Spirit and C reality transports from different facilities.

>What was your perception of the apparant sharpness?

Frankly, I noticed a much greater sharpness issue between individual
transfers. As you know, some of us (not I said the king...) like to use
contours and image enhancement more than others. Once you see a natural
print next to a hyper contoured IP, sharpness issues in the source are
magnified much greater than the apparent projection resolution.

-- Bob
Bob Festa			festa at encorevideo.com
Director of Advanced Imaging	festa at pacbell.net
Encore Santa Monica		310 656 7663

---
Thanks to Tektronix for support in 1999
1045 subscribers in 41 countries on Tue Jun  1 23:33:05 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com