PAL BETA question

I have a question that perhaps someone out there can answer:

We feed our NTSC BETA SP (75) decks with YUV where the U and V
are 700mv p-p at 75% saturation.  Recordings and PB are OK, no
problem.  Ever.

Now I got a PAL deck (75P) and notice that the same levels IN
result in an oversaturated recording.  I was under the impression
that in the BETA component level world, both PAL and NTSC used the
same U/V levels (700mv p-p  at  75%) and the only diff was the Y level
to account for setup.

So I figured, heck, someone set up our deck wrong; too much gain
on the YUV input stage... but I compared this to another unrelated
deck only to find the same thing.  Strange.  It's an input thing;
playing back align tapes and other tests show that the increase
in saturation is due to the setup of the input stage on all these
machines. [Using BNC connctors in all cases, not the multi-conn.]

Anybody else see that, or is this supposed to be like this?  Doesn't
seem right to me.

"Trust the computer industry to shorten "Year 2000" to Y2K. It was
this kind of thinking that caused the problem in the first place."
Bill Topazio, VP/Engineering     bt at mte.com     v:212-907-1225
Manhattan Transfer               New York, NY   f:212-687-2719

Thanks to Cintel for support in 1999
1037 subscribers in 41 countries on Fri May 14 12:44:54 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com