Re: Re:Electronic cinema

Stuart Fyvie asked:

>All this talk of the new 'Star Wars' movie had me wondering about how these
>new
>projection systems cope with a 'scope image (2.35:1) ? Are they fixed at
>1.85:1
>and letterboxed? Does it show 2.35:1 at all or show pan and scanned images?

The TI demos I've seen used a 1.5x anamorphic lens to get a true 1.85 image,
and could certainly have used a 2.0x anamorphic to get 2.39.  They could
certainly run the masking to the right place, and simply not illuminate a few
pixels on the chips, much as we do by putting the appropriate matte in a film
projector.

-- J.S.

---
Thanks to Options International for support in 1999
1019 subscribers in 41 countries on Mon May 10 10:54:11 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com