Re: Electronic Cinema

Paul Grace writes-
>I believe going to the cinema should be a quality experience or you may as
>well pick up a DVD or VHS and watch it at home on home cinema (putting
aside
>the anti social nature of this).

Murch's NY Times article addresses this and postulates that the experience
of going out, of sitting with strangers in a modern tribal way, and risking
our time and money changes the experience sufficiently to guarantee the
theatrical venue's persistence.
Taking the anthropological perspective makes the presentation technology
irrelevant. The adoption curve will be determined by economics.

>I believe new technology will allow "risky" projects to be released.
Democratizing of production occurred with the introduction of hand held
video cameras. People have been shooting video, and changing to film for
over a decade. The use of High Def has been tried in a few features. The
real limits to the marketplace are access to distribution. The costs of
being in the motion picture distribution game, even at the level of cable,
are very high. You have to have 'marketable' elements (err star names) for
any meaningful penetration.
A "Hoop Dreams" or "Roger & Me" are considered breakthroughs, but they don't
ever reach the number of eyeballs that even a poor performing "Soul Man" got
in one weekend.
This winter, at the No Dance (alternative film festival to the alternative
Slam Dance) there were films shown from DV. There was a Silicon Valley
festival of 15 films all produced in DV. None of these are going to be on
your local screens, either projected or on cable, anytime soon.
Distribution will be changed by full motion real time internet bandwidth.
Then anyone with a DV camera, a decent computer, and a connection will be
able to produce and distribute. Kids in junior high today, will graduate
college with better tools on their desktops than professionals have today.
Some might even know how to use them. Some might have studied literature and
story telling, as well as art. They might be literate in visual language,
and they might be able to break the oligopoly control of what passes for
culture.
By the way, do you telecine your 8MM?

Patrick Gregston
The Picture Works
Patrick at pictureworks.net

---
Thanks to DAV and Dave Walker for support in 1999
1020 subscribers in 41 countries on Sat May  8 19:48:40 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com