Electronic Cinema

Geoff Boyle wrote:

> 4) Maybe there's be a split in market, small well written films only
> distributed to HDTV and DVD and then there'll be the events in stereo Imax
> :-)
>
> 5) Image quality, the audience may not know why they like or dislike
> something but they quickly vote with their pockets when they have a
> comparative choice and the difference is clear.

I just saw a whole bunch of I-max films ( well three), One in Stereo.
The stereo one unfortunately wasn't so great ( L-5 first city in space),
I think part of it was sitting to close to the screen, and part of it
was the polarizing lenses weren't efficient enough, and I did see some
image bleeding. I wonder if the average viewer will find this enough To
justify spending $20? or more dollars a ticket to go see a movie.
because that is where it is headed. I remember when movies first hit $5
a ticket. Our family ( all 6 of us ) stopped going to see them entirely.
Movies are going to have to get Better, and better, as a complete show,
unfortunately it isn't going to happen as projection just gets worse and
worse. Besides which, how many prints of films that open in a thousand
or more theaters nationwide are really first quality, and how many are
rushed, and not pristine?

As for Image Quality, only time will tell if there is a difference, that
affects the audience enough to hurt the box office, but I imagine once
we get Electronic projection into theaters. The brand new perfectly
tuned projectors will push out the film projectors, even if people
respond better to film projection ( or origination) at that time the
only choice will be Electronic.

On a personal opinion Tangent. I saw "Gods and Monsters" Very Crisp and
clean and just what you expect from a professional film, The "Black and
White " Silhouette of the monster walking was just wonderfully done,
especially as it seems to have been shot in color, and lit and art
directed to B + W. The color only becoming apparent at the end of the
sequence. Still with all this modern film stock technology projected in
front of me, there was a beautiful quality to the shots from the
original Frankenstein film that were used. Not as sharp, not as crisp,
but very pleasing.

Steven Gladstone
Brooklyn, Based Cinematographer
http://home.earthlink.net/~veenotph

---
Thanks to DAV and Dave Walker for support in 1999
1020 subscribers in 41 countries on Sat May  8 00:40:59 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com