NAB 99

I am looking for others opinions of what was seen at the show this year. In
particular, C-Reality, Spirit, and Sony telecines. Here is how I felt about
what I looked at.

Spirit: Obviously a very nice machine. I guess by now we all know what this
machine looks like, and really no need to go into this any further. I did
look at the Steadiscan option which was on the machine in the Phillips
booth. Frankly, I thought the image was jumping around a fare bit. I am
bothered a little by the fact that you can't see the film grain on the
machine. Although the Phillips guys tried to convince me that what I am
referring to is not grain, but rather the tooth of the film, and that you
should not be able to see this. My concern here however, is that when the
film is projected, I see grain. Therefore when telecined, I would also like
to see it. If I don't, what else am I not seeing?

C-Reality: Looked at all four machines on the show floor very closely. Very
much impressed by all. Images were very clean, stable and very sharp, and
very rich. I feel that after looking at this machine, you can understand how
important full bandwidth color channels are. I definitely felt that the
machine gave a more filmic look than did the Spirit. I was also very
impressed by the range of the machine. I felt that this telecine gave more
artistic latitude than I have ever seen on any other machine. The servo
system was very elegant. Of any telecine I have ever seen, I would trust my
film on this system more than any other. Very, very gentle film handling.

Sony: Pictures looked pretty good, but still needs a little time to mature.
The machine in the da Vinci booth seemed to have a stability problem, even
in still, but the machine in the private demo room seemed fine. Currently,
the switch over to 16mm seems to be a little much, although Luke did mention
that this was being addressed. Plenty of range in the machine, and I like
the fact that you can see the film grain, I did find the machines to have a
fare amount of noise, although it would be very much below the grain of the
film. I like the fact that when in stop, I am not looking at a freeze. I
know that the film handling of this system is in theory Very gentle, but I
still can't get over the fact that it scares me a little.

da Vinci 2k: Very impressed. The biggest thing that I noticed was the
improvements on the secondaries over the 8:8:8. Very clean secondaries, and
the ability to soften is great. Defocus module worked well, I think will be
a strong selling point. I did not see anything with this unit that I did not
like, although our colorist did complain about the positioning of the clear
key. Personally I could care less.

Pandora: Gear works well obviously. I did not notice any huge improvements
or changes to the system, so not much to report on.

Please fell free to bash anything that I have written, or throw in any
supporting comments you may have. Just looking for opinions.

Steven Flippin,  Director of Engineering
Crash & Sue's Film\Video Post,  Minneapolis, MN

---
NAB telecine product focus at
http://www.alegria.com/tig3/TIGNABFS99.txt

Thanks to DAV and Dave Walker for support in 1999
1030 subscribers in 41 countries on Fri Apr 30 09:44:14 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com