Re: New Sony 24sF format

JDonenfeld wrote:
> While you gentlemen argue minutia(sic?) you overlook one thing.  How many
> people do you think are going to run out and spend $5K for an HD set, when
> they just paid a couple grand for their 40-70" rear-screen projection set?
> And what about the Black-box converters? It will all boil down to..........
> an NTSC Broadcast signal, either on antenna or over some cheap cable
> company's over-driven, noisy, over-crowded copper cable!

At the CES this year one manufacturer announced that they would
have an HD set this year that would retail for $3,000.  Several other
manufacturers have offered full value trade in against an HD set for
a 525 projector set purchased currently.  I have been getting more
requests lately for HD work here in NYC (one tv series and several
commercials.)  There are so many co-ventures developing among
manufacturers and broadcasters (eg, GE owning NBC, Cablevision
owning The Wiz chain of electronics stores, the various phone
companies' involvements with cable systems) that the market for
consumer hardware will happen.  How many of us purchased
prerecorded VHS and Betamax movies at $89.00 plus in 1978 (let
alone the machine) and how many VCR's, DVD's etc. do we all
own now?

Alan
Alan B. Rosenfeld
General Manager
SMA Video
100 Avenue of the Americas
10th Floor
New York, NY 10013
Voice: 212.226.7474
Fax: 212.941.0439
www.smavid.com

---
quick NAB telecine product focus at
http://www.alegria.com/tig3/TIGNABFS99.txt

Thanks to Rich Lyons of Preferred Video Products for support in 1999
1022 subscribers in 41 countries on Thu Apr  8 06:17:00 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com