Re: New Sony 24sF format

On Apr 6,  3:02pm, John Sprung wrote:

> Right, in current practice, vertical resolution is limited in
> the sampling process, be it telecine or a video camera.  When
> progressive working becomes the common practice, it will have
> to be broken out into the tape to tape downconversion to
> interlace. That'll be chips manipulating bits in RAM.

John,
	I feel it necessary to distinguish between vertical sampling in
telecine and in video cameras. Telecines are inherently progressive scan
devices which then convert to interlace on output. That is why I take issue
with the Sony position that 48sf is absolutely different from 48i - it depends
entirely on the capture mechanism. A telecine running at the native frame rate
for that video standard ( 29.97/NTSC or 25/PAL) will produce a signal
equivalent to that which Sony describes as "segmented frame".

--
Rich Torpey
LBTL

---
quick NAB telecine product focus at
http://www.alegria.com/tig3/TIGNABFS99.txt

Thanks to Rich Lyons of Preferred Video Products for support in 1999
1021 subscribers in 41 countries on Tue Apr  6 14:51:03 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com