ScanPatch/keycode

Friends and Colleagues:

  A few months back, December to be exact, I posted an inquiry asking for some assistance in tracking down some possibilities in order to solve a situation that I was encountering with discrepancies between indicated Keycode on an Evertz 4025 and the B-Film Row on a TLC.

   Hopefully I can conclude that thread here, and I gratefully thank all who posted me publicly and privately.

     I had basically the same problem with both 16 and 35 mm, in that some camera rolls, even within the same lab roll exhibited the annoying tendency to give me a one-frame error between the TLC and the 4025.  A lot of people concluded that the scan-patch must be the problem -- and it probably is. Compensating for the wide variation in location of the scan patch in Slowscan seems to be the solution, but it apparently isn't that easy to do.  Anyone who has followed the alignment procedure articled in the bulletin TLC-032 will be aware that there is a bit of guesswork and try-it-and-see involved.  It turns out that the three trim values that determine this relationship are very sensitive.  You might find a combination that works most of the time, but not all the time.  I gather I was in the latter.  Since adjusting the first value "Perf Calibration" by plus one, and the second value "Perf Offset" by two, I have achieved perfection in detecting zero frames on all camera rolls, including the correct perf/dot relationship, on the B-Film Row.
     Now I wish I had the same trim latitude with the 4025!  I am now fairly deep into a 35mm feature, and the situation that I encounter most is a failure on the part of the 4025 to reset over camera roll changes -- especially when there is a 1->4, or
a 4->1 dot/perf translation.  Then its "reset footage to zero/capture" time.
The happy news is that the TLC has been correct every time.
Thank you to all who advised and....

I'm going back to work now.
Joe Owens
Colourist, Studio Post