Re: Source for Sony SBX1602A Serial to Parallel chip??

As a follow up to those who may be interested:

Several people wrote and advised that I try the Thompson STV-1602A as a
potentially more robust substitute for the Sony SBX1602A.

As an aside, I was quite surprised by the number of people (at least half a
dozen) who wrote to say that the Sony part failed in their plants on a
regular basis ("by the fistful around here" is how one person put it).

This is pathetic for a reasonably expensive industry standard part. Someone
should really hold Sony's feet to the fire over this.

In any case, based at least partly on reports of the Sony's propensity to
die (plus the fact that the Thompson part was cheaper at $100 in single
quantities), I ordered the Thompson part, and it arrived and was installed.
Works just fine. Now we'll see how long it lasts.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE compositing.

1015 subscribers in 41 countries on Thu Mar 25 17:14:48 CST 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com