Re: Film wars

 will Lucas do a tape-film transfer after
>post?

yes - film is the true archival medium

Also one would just like to ask why he wants to go the Digital
>camera route; is it simply boys and their new toys? Or is it the
>arrogance of wanting to leave a lasting legacy to the film industry! (Or
>should that now read tape industry?)

In an efx film there are advantages to being able to composite live with
reproducable registration. It simlifies the choreography of complex
interactions. For location background plates I bet they are still shooting
film...

I wouldn't jump to inferno just yet but Mega def and the hi def davinci
look like the preferred routes for color correcting theatrical features for
electronic release and write back to 35mm.

James Fancher           "Truth unfolds in time through a communal process"
Chief Science Officer            ...Carroll Quigley
POP
730 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

310 458-3300 voice
310 394-6852 fax
310 319-1750 direct line

---
Thanks to Simon Morton of Discreet Logic for support in 1999
1020 subscribers in 41 countries on Thu Mar 18 18:51:03 CST 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com