Re: Dirt / Dust

At 03:01 PM 3/8/1999 -0800, Simon Scott wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>According to my limited telecine knowledge, the following article doesn't
>make sense.  I have been told that the Spirit Datacine  minimizes dirt
>and dust from the transfer process as a bi-product of  its' diffuse
>illumination.  If  true, what happened in the Pleasantville scenario?

Hey Simon,

I think the key word here is *minimizes*. The questions to ask might be
what side of the film was the dirt on? Base or emulsion? Was it in-camera
garbage? As a Spirit power user, I can tell you that the parabolic scan
results are really quite phenomenal. In fact I had an opportunity to
perform a job on a C Reality today and I was amazed at the amount of
surface dirt and debris that was visible. Perhaps the producers of
Pleasantville were removing filmic artifacts that were pre-develop in
nature. Do you remember if the source footage was B&W??? Thats a whole
'nother discussion.

Best,

Bob

Bob Festa									   mailto:festa at pacbell.net
Director of Advanced Imaging		mailto:festa at encorevideo.com
Encore Santa Monica		310 656 7663	KF6RKG

1020 subscribers in 41 countries on Mon Mar  8 19:40:12 CST 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com