Dirt / Dust

Dear All,

According to my limited telecine knowledge, the following article doesn't
make sense.  I have been told that the Spirit Datacine  minimizes dirt
and dust from the transfer process as a bi-product of  its' diffuse
illumination.  If  true, what happened in the Pleasantville scenario?
Any feedback, appreciated. Please cc simon at ringoffire.com, as I only
receive the digest.

Simon Scott
Inferno Artist
Ring of Fire, LA
==============

                            Commotion Speeds Up Pleasantville
                            Effects

                            The "Pleasantville" effects team praises
Commotion's
                            cineon support

                            Company: Pleasantville Production
                            Los Angeles, CA
                            Artist: Chris Watts, Visual Effects
                            Supervisor, Pleasantville
                            Project: Pleasantville

                            The Challenge: Almost 1700
                            visual effects shots for New Line
                            Cinema's Pleasantville were scanned at 2K on
a Spirit Datacine.
                            Philips Broadcast Television Systems Spirit
2Kx2K Realtime
                            Datacine is a multi-purpose high-resolution
realtime film
                            scanner for post-production incorporating
Kodak's advanced
                            imaging technology and all digital signal
processing. Once
                            digitized, several thousand frames of footage
were left with
                            specks of dirt, fine hairs and dust. To fix
this problem, Chris
                            needed a fast and reliable solution to
effectively clean up the
                            large number of shots.

                                                         The Solution:
"Puffin Design's
                                                         Commotion was
used to clean dirt
                                                         from over 500
shots in
                                                         Pleasantville.
We needed a
                                                         solution that
was extremely fast,
                                                         reliable and
easy to use.
                                                         Commotion reads
Cineon files
                                                         better than any
other application
                                                         on the Macintosh
desktop. It is very
                                                         cost effective
when compared with
                                                         SGI based
systems like Matador
                                                         that have
similar functionality, but
                                                         at over five
times the price.
                                                         Commotion's
facility with 8-bit log
                                                         files makes it
ideal for film work on
                                                         the Macintosh,"
commented Chris.

                            "At first, we didn't take advantage of all of
Commotion's robust
                            capabilities, but as time went on, we began
to use it for more
                            complex tasks. In a scene where a tree
catches fire, some jets
                            from a propane system were visible. Painting
these out with
                            Commotion was a snap. We are very grateful to
Puffin Designs
                            for designing a great roto/paint system that
is so effective,
                            reliable and affordable!"

1020 subscribers in 41 countries on Mon Mar  8 16:59:26 CST 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com