RE: BBC Delivery Standards

As an ex BBC person, let me explain what is meant by the 14x9 requirement.
While I was at the BBC, I wrote the delivery requirements document for 4x3
analogue. For some reason I can't get to bbc.co.uk/delivery, so I can't
comment on its content.

The BBC, to give the 4x3 viewer and the 16x9 viewer the best of both worlds,
they have decided on the 14x9 standard so to meet everyone half way. I would
imagine the 14x9 will be phased out as more 16x9 TVs are sold.

Programmes are being commissioned in 16x9 with a 'shoot and protect' of
either 4x3, 14x9 or 16x9. The BBC defines 'Shoot & Protect' as (my words,
here) 'action is within a 14x9 portion of the full width 16x9 image' (the
14x9 uses the same picture height as the 16x9) therefore losing a small
amount of picture at the edges.

For 16x9 digital TX, the viewer won't notice this 'lack of action at the
edges', but when the programme is simultaneously TX'd on the analogue
service, it is, as Bill rightly says, letterboxed to 14x9 (cropping the
edges of the picture). Experiments with true 16x9 letterbox on the 4x3
service has given rise to viewer complaints "we are not getting a screen
full of picture for our license fee". Domestic overscan of TVs masks most of
the 14x9 letterbox, so no complaints.

The real problem arises when a full width 16x9 (shot & protected to 16x9
i.e. action right to the edges) is TX'd on 4x3. If it is aspect ratio
converted to 4x3 the edges of the picture again are lost. If TX'd 16x9
letterbox then the phones start ringing. This is worse for the Commercial
companies as the viewers see a letterbox, think it is an 'arty' programme
and switch over.

Also, when a 16x9 is ARC'd to 4x3 then the editing looks wrong. For example,
a person leaves the 4x3 frame (they are still visible to the 16x9 viewer)
and the director performs the picture 'cut' as they leave the 16x9 frame.
Looks very odd in 4x3. I suspect it will only be time before a director
recuts their programme for the 4x3 version.

The BBC also wanted to make the ARC versions as a 'straight down the middle'
version. This proved unsuccessful, as directors immediately wanted to 'pan &
scan' the 14x9 and/or the 4x3.

Hope this explains.

Jeff Booth
Facilities Manager
Soho Images
London

I'm not paid by, or affiliated to etc. etc. etc.