Re:BBC Delivery Standards

Robert Lund wrote:
>The way I read the document, it specifies a 14x9 SAFE ACTION area for
widescreen production, and a 4x3 SAFE GRAPHICS area for the same. This does
NOT mean they broadcast action programming in 14x9, nor graphics programming
in 4x3; it seems they'll be broadcasting in 16x9 and/or 4x3, and they're
willing to risk losing a portion of the widescreen action, but none of the
graphics when broadcasting in 4x3, while wasting some of the extra screen
area in 16x9 transmission.
>Right?

Sorry Robert, but wrong. As someone who does work for a UK
producer/broadcaster (not BBC) I can tell you your worst fears are true. The
programmes are shot on film (or tape) as 16:9 with a 14:9 action safe area.
They are "zoomed" on transmission to the compromise of 14:9 for the analogue
service. On the digital transmission service they are shown 16:9 on
Widescreen sets but zoomed to 4:3 for people with regular square TV's hence
the need for 4:3 graphic safe. Additionally you have to consider
international sales which are generally 4:3.
Confused you should be, and yes it's a minefield framing-wise.
It would be great to switch over to 16:9 overnight, but the public would be
none too pleased I bet at being forced to buy a new TV the next day.

neil.parker at virgin.net

---
Thanks to Lynette Duensing for support in 1999.
1033 subscribers in 41 countries on Tue Feb 16 14:01:15 CST 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com