Re: Film Lab Rolls

"SP&T, Telecine" wrote:

> I was wondering what colourists prefer in the size of a film lab roll (both
> 16 and 35mm) for telecine?  Is there a difference for commercials of
> episodics?

My only preference is that 16mm flats are assembled to comprise a few
less than
30 minutes per flat (for your reasoning mentioned later in your post -
typically that is 2 - 400ft cam rolls, which at 24fps, runs a little
more than
22 minutes).
As far a a difference between commercials and episodics(/et features?) ,
I can
only think of the acmade approach to features in which rolls are typically
limited to 1000ft loads.  If a group of circle takes from a particular scene
amounts to more than 1000ft, then, before the footage count runs through the
next 1000, a new 1000ft load is begun.

> Do the labs generally punch circled take on the rolls or just the first
> circled takes of a camera roll?

I would say that the only punch a lab may typically do is at the head of
a lab
flat whether that is comprised of 1 or several cam rolls.  Other circumstances
are usually dictated by the method of the editor supervising the
project.  His
method may require the lab to have head and tail punches for each cam roll
(typically at the +00 of the first  Keykode #), or perhaps for each circle
take, though I've not seen that too often.

> We get a number of 16mm 1200" jobs that come in that have to go to 60 minute
> tapes to keep the rolls together and the clients question the waste.
>
> Do you think tape manufacturers will ever make a tape the same length as a
> camera roll?

I doubt it.  I used to expend way to much energy trying to fill up
tapes, but I
got burned too many times needing just another minute or so on a new
tape and
often having to retransfer a flat (duh!).  So I stopped worrying about
it and
only transfer what I know will fit - often leaving a hunk of tape at the
end -
like when laying two 800ft 16mm flats (45 minutes) or four 1200ft 35mm flats
(53 minutes).  A lot less worry for me and only  a rare comment from a
penny-foolish client.

> One last question.  When you are logging an episodic is it a big problem to
> split a camera roll on 2 tapes if you don't have room on the first or make
> sure it will al fit on one tape?

Again, this depends on the method of the supervising editor.  Splitting
a flat
over a tape roll change shouldn't be a problem if it is done carefully
and with
some forethought.  Some editors, though, are more comfortable having all
of their
ducks lined up where they can see everything in front of them, whereas others
can make sense of the less obvious, needing only to make distinctions by
tape roll number.

Tim Bond
DuArt Film & Video

--
Want the Answer? You won't believe this stuff!
http://www.straightdope.com/

---
Thanks to Dave Reinowski and GTN for support in 1998.
1026 subscribers in 40 countries on Wed Dec 23 03:13:23 CST 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com