Re: Getting Started

>Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 14:54:18
>To: Rob Lingelbach <rob at alegria.com>
>From: Craig Leffel <acleffel at mindspring.com>
>Subject: Re: [TIG] Getting Started
>
>At 08:37 PM 12/18/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>

>>Often I'm asked by prospective post-production pupils "where can I
>>learn to do what you do?"  I wish I could refer them to an Academy of
>>Autocratic Arts where they could learn the self-worship essential to
>>the position, but anyway, the schools don't usually have the money to
>>buy the gear. Some schools can buy the gear but must settle for being
>>a few years behind the current technology, as it's just too expensive.
>>
>>> Once you put some time in actually doing the job, you must work your
>>> way up to bigger and better projects with modern equipment.  This is
>>> a tightrope act: video is a small world, and pushy, agressive types
>>> are long remembered--particularly if they only have mediocre talent.
>>
>>A fine line, that between agression and ambition, and the more
>>talented prospects are sometimes the quieter.

In reference to our work as a telecine group I have to take some exception--
I believe that you should love what you do. In this field we spend to many
hours at it not to really have a passion for it. Humilty is a long passed
down tradition that is always suggested as a way of showing you really know
more than the next person. - "If you have a real mastery about what you do,
you don't need to talk about it". I think this is bunk.  Pure unadulterated
bunk. We work in an Industry where the colorists themselves are being
constantly presented with new technological wonders and ways of working that
are more and more complex each day ( Spirit, data, 2K, Y-front, Hippi, Mega
def, etc.). As we work hard to keep up and master these things, how can we
possibly expect our clients to understand all of it? Taking pride in you
work, displaying passion, and constantly trying to educate your clients are
all things that can be misconstrued with braggadocio, conceit, and sheer
cockiness. I believe that you SHOULD think you are good at what you do - or
you shouldn't be doing it. You should also think that your work holds up to
others -- or don't bother. We all don't get the same clients, or the same
film, but having a genuine passion for what you do is absolutley mandatory
in film making - - even if you're working on diapers or burgers ( Like we
sometimes do over here in cow country ). Here's me stepping off my soap box
now......

( For all of you that work on the really cool, "important"  spots like Coke,
Nike, Pepsi, Miller, etc. or anything shot by people like Hype Williams or
Spike Jones, my humble apologies for your eye rolling boredom -- I'm
atwitter with the anticipation for the day I get to be as cool as the west
coast guys)...

Season's Best --

Craig Leffel

Craig Leffel
Senior Colorist / Partner
Optimus, Inc.
Chicago, Il 60611
312-321-0880

---
Thanks to Dave Reinowski and GTN for support in 1998.
1024 subscribers in 40 countries on Sat Dec 19 17:18:18 CST 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com