Re: Awards for colorists ?

JC Soret wonders:

>I would like to know if there is any kind of Colorist or Telecine Award
>in the US, it apparently does not exist here in the UK...

     Well, there are the Monitor awards, but they really don't cover
everyone - you have to formally submit your work with a fairly hefty fee, so
that makes them somewhat private.  But they do have a colorist award.
     I think it's difficult to have a "best colorist" award anyway.  There
are so many factors that don't show up on the transfer, perhaps the greatest
being the relationship of the colorist to the client.  How can a judge
factor in how well a colorist realizes a client's concept?
     Also, there is the photography to consider.  It's an old adage in this
business: if it looks great, the DP did a great job.  If it looks lousy, the
colorist screwed up!
     I don't know if you get the Simpsons over in Europe, but I remember one
episode several years ago where Sideshow Bob was hosting an awards ceremony.
He was blatantly despising the event, and sarcastically announced: "Now
here's something _really_ interesting - the award for best film to tape
transfer..."  I fell out of my chair laughing! (I was probably the only
one...)
     I guess the best award a colorist can have is repeat business from a
loyal client base.

Bob Lovejoy
Shooters Post & Transfer

---
Thanks to Tim Bond and Lorne Miess for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1000 subscribers in 38 countries on Thu Nov 19 21:56:49 CST 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com