Re: 24 or 30 fps ?

On Nov 12, 16:48, Basil96009 at aol.com wrote:
} Subject: Re: [TIG] 24 or 30 fps ?

> The 30 fps was the clear winner, with reduced strobing, flicker,
> and a much brighter image. The benefits were apparent in still
> scenes, but much more noticable any time the camera moved.

once again to flay this tired horse, the benefits may be apparent on
non-fiction, reality-based images, but for me the clear winner for
story-telling is 24 fps.

> ...Trumbull was developing Showscan...
> shoots/projects at 60fps using a 65mm vertical format negative.
> when I finally saw it a year later, the effect was spectacular.

personally, I find increases in temporal resolution, for theatrical
projection of features of fiction, not to be worthwhile.

> with the clarity, especially in the wide shots. Equally clear were all
> of the wrinkles on the female broadcaster's face.

for immediate, news-gathering types of images, increased framerates
will be valuable.  For feature films, I prefer 24.  30 and higher
framerates evoke video origination for me.

> Pulldown has it's own way of distorting
> reality, not to mention film matchback lists. Who needs it?

who wants reality?  :]

--Rob Lingelbach
FWC Dallas

www.alegria.com      --Rowland Hill, "Village Dialogues", via A. Lincoln

---
Thanks to Innovation TK for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
992 subscribers in 38 countries on Thu Nov 12 16:34:19 CST 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com