Re: 1080i color space?/ C-Reality demo

David Bernstein wrote:

>I work with a 601 SDTV monitor and a 709 HDTV monitor side by side, and
when
>both monitors are carefully calibrated, the color difference between them
is
>very slight.

That's absolutely right, but it's not the problem.  The issue is that stuff
you time as 601 could get upconverted by a cheap box without a color
conversion,
and played back as if it were 709, and vice versa.  Does anyone think that
709
looks so very much better than 601 that it's worth keeping track of two
different
standards?  We've had drop and non-drop, dolby and non-dolby, and now we'll
have
601 and 709 stickers....  Is it worth it?

If you want, I can show you simulations of the possible mistakes as .BMP
files.

-- J.S.
-------

---
Thanks to Dave Corbitt and MTE for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1007 subscribers in 38 countries on Fri Nov  6 14:58:27 CST 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com