Re: head tones -Reply

One word of warning.  While video people work at -20 below F.S.D.
sometimes audio people pick other values.  In fact I'm looking at a piece of Dolby Digital Audio gear that is set at -18.  In fact I believe that -18 was selected as the "Official" reference level by one of the international standards organizations.....

-Wayne Wagner
20th. Century Fox

AntlerProd at aol.com on 9/30/98 3:21 PM wrote:

>A statement was made that "On a D1 tape, the reference level is -20 Dbu."
>The
>reference level on a D1, and most other digital formats, is -20dB below
>digital clipping.  On most machines this relates to an actual output level of
>+4dBu.

The level you describe is best referred to as:

-20 dBFS (FS = full scale, ie: largest possible value [clipping, if you
wish to call it that])

Tapes should be marked with as much info as possible including tone
freq., its level, time code flavor, sample rate, and timing reference
(29.97).

regards, jrm

    John McDaniel  <johnmcd at one.net>
 Sonic Arts Digital Audio Services, Inc.

Thanks to Steve Robinson and Phil Voss for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1009 subscribers in 39 countries on Thu Oct  1 19:57:21 CDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com

Thanks to Steve Robinson and Phil Voss for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1008 subscribers in 39 countries on Thu Oct  1 20:22:56 CDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com