[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Re: Digi Beta versus D1
- To: <telecine at alegria.com>
- Subject: Re: Re: Digi Beta versus D1
- From: "Thomas Lund" <tlund at image.dk>
- Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 01:11:53 +0200
- Resent-Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 18:12:33 -0500
- Resent-From: telecine at alegria.com
- Resent-Message-ID: <"NxzeG.A.85.0iuA2" at sun>
- Resent-Sender: SmartList account <slist at sun.alegria.com>
- Resent-To: multiple recipients of <telecine at alegria.com>
Phil Mendelson wrote:
>The color space conversion loss described has very little to do with the
>fact that it's 8 bits. What Charles Poynton is describing is the bandwidth
>reduction that occurs from full bandwidth RGB to 4:2:2 Y,Pb,Pr.
That is not correct. The color space loss occurs when converting between
R'G'B' and 4:4:4 Y'CbCr with the same bit depth. This is what Mr. Poynton
describes in his whitepaper 'Merging computing with studio video: Converting
between R'G'B' and 4:2:2', and it is a fact that can easily be proven.
The 4:2:2 subsampling reduces the spatial color resolution further, this
reduction is of course the same for both 8 bits and 10 bits Y'CbCr.
Thanks to Manhattan Transfer/Edit for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG. Contact rob at alegria.com
1013 subscribers in 39 countries on Fri Sep 18 18:11:43 CDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com
complete information on the TIG website http://www.alegria.com/tig3/