Re: Re: Digi Beta versus D1

At 05:04 PM 9/18/98 +0200, Thomas Lund wrote:
>As Charles Poynton has documented, there is a huge color information loss
>when converting from 8bit R'G'B' to 8bit Y'CbCr, only 16% of the colors are
>retained.
>
>The digiBeta, being a 10 bit device, is able of representing the entire 8
>bits R'G'B color space, without any loss at all.

The color space conversion loss described has very little to do with the
fact that it's 8 bits.  What Charles Poynton is describing is the bandwidth
reduction that occurs from full bandwidth RGB to 4:2:2 Y,Pb,Pr.

Phil

Phil Mendelson
Senior VP, Engineering; Todd AO/Hollywood Digital
philm at hollydig.com
philm at deltanet.com
gigabaud1 at aol.com

"Animals are our friends.......but they won't take us to the airport."

---
Thanks to Manhattan Transfer/Edit for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1013 subscribers in 39 countries on Fri Sep 18 11:24:57 CDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com