Re: Re: color temp puzzle

This has also been discussed recently on the cinematography list.

The bottom line problem with color temperature is that we're trying to cram
ten pounds of scientific s**t in a five pound sack.

Color temperature only really works for things that glow because they're
hot,
like incandescent lamp filaments and the sun.  For everything else,
including
CRT's, we have this bogus concept of "correlated color temperature".

To really know what's going on, we do need spectrophotometers, both on the
set
and in the telecine bay.  Minolta used to make one, but it was too
expensive -
about $7k or $9k....  So, for all of us, the good five cent cigar is an
affordable spectrophotmeter.  There's a business opportunity for someone
who
makes instruments there.

-- J.S.
-------

---
Thanks to The Post Group for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1010 subscribers in 39 countries on Thu Sep 10 16:23:20 CDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com