Re: Domino and other systems...

Ken Robinson wrote:

> Steve has just written something absolutely the opposite of what I have heard
> regarding the 8 bit Domino.  I also understand that color correction with this
> system is extremely limited as well.

Apparently, in the Domino Scanner/Double4/Recorder system where we are going from
film and back to film, 8 bit dynamic resolution is sufficient to resolve film
detail without resolving too much grain (film noise). Ideally, we should be able
to scan an image, then record it back onto film and have that copy look exactly
the same. If we scan grain, then we will be recording grain on top of grain and
our chances of an exact reproduction are diminished.

In a telecine suite where we are transfering film to video, we may want to scan
the grain of the film in order to reproduce the 'film' look on video.

As far as Domino's colour correction ability, I am not an operator, so I can't
comment.

Neil Burroughs
Command Post Toybox, Toronto

Yadda Yadda Disclaimer: Nobody pays me in any way to advertise or sell products
for them. I've never even been approached, and am not interested.

---
Thanks to Kodak for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1009 subscribers in 39 countries on Wed Aug 12 06:03:19 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com