Re: VB: Film for DVD

At 04:01 PM 8/11/98 +0200, "Mikael Reichel" <mikael.reichel at culinaire.se>
wrote:
>1. When mastering film for DVD is it common practice to always do a new
telecine transfer or are existing, recent of the shelf transfers used? Are
there different policies around?

Yes and Yes. Unfortunately.

>2. Flying spot related. Theoretically it should not matter if the telecine
transfer is made progressively or interlaced if the film is steady and the
interlace fields are perfectly registered. But in practice is this always
the case? Is registry perfect? Can the TK be switched to a progressive scan?

Flying spot is progressive scan to read the film raster image into frame
memory and field interlaced at the output. If subsequent processing
correctly maintains the interlace pairs from the same film frame and then
displays the frame with a progressive sweep, you have exactly inverted the
process and see a pure progressive scan frame. But I recommend that you
double sweep the progressive image (at least) as you will _not_ like the 24
(or 25) cycle flicker.
David Tosh <dlt at earthlink.net>
Engineer, Complete Post Hollywood, CA USA

---
Thanks to Kodak for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1011 subscribers in 39 countries on Tue Aug 11 15:18:33 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com