RE: Converting Between R'G'B' and 4:2:2 (The Impossibly Blu e Sky)

>>There are colors overlooked here such as very saturated, bright reds and
>>even more saturated, bright blues. On an RGB waveform monitor, one of these
>>colors might show up as 100% red channel, 100% green channel and 160% (sic)
>>blue channel. Invalid, you say. Ah, but what a beautiful color for a sky

...and Spinal Tap has amplifiers that go to 11.

Simply put, Y,Pb,Pr color space is only a container for the valid RGB
space. All of our display technology is RGB and constant luminance. By
creating a signal that is 100,100,160 you are only changing the relative
contrast of the display and/or allowing the characteristics of the
individual monitor to clip the blue channel for you. The theoretical
Y,Pb,Pr monitor would need the ability to suck light and color from the
environment in order to display the full range of mathematical values
available in that color space :).

Bob Frey
PVR

---
Thanks to Match Frame Austin for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1002 subscribers in 39 countries on Fri Jul 31 07:25:47 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com