Re: is reality a good thing?

> All of which gives a new meaning to the phrase "photo-realism": (does
it
> have to look _less_ than real to look "real") : and leaves me
wondering
> three things:-
>
> 1.    If photography liberated the painter from the need to represent
> "reality" and allowed her/him to move on to cubism, surrealism etc,
what
> will be /has been the corresponding effect of video and digital
imaging
> on photography and cinematography?

	Digital imaging liberated photo and cinema from reality, not just on
the aesthetic side but in story telling as well, Caro and Jeunet wrote
"The City of Lost Children" keeping in mind digital imaging could make
it possible, there are many other examples.
	As far as color correction is concerned, it has definitely brought
something to advertising and music videos, with limits pushed further
everyday, although I don't know if it is the lack of more powerful
tools or if people are getting fed up with sophisticated pictures but
there seem to be a trend for more "real" colorgrading like Kodachrome
of 60's, documentaries with faded colors. Here in the UK the
commercials that got all the awards had hardly any post, some of them
were shot in video, it seems that the futuristic look had its days,
todays look is either 50's Technicolor, 30 years old 16 reversal, or
flat and ugly like video, the geek look: authentic. Just a few
thoughts.

	Regards to all
	JC Soret

---
Thanks to Grace & Wild and Digital Vision for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
999 subscribers in 39 countries on Mon Jul 27 15:36:57 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com