Re: 480P - Anyone know what this is?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Most <mmost at encorevideo.com>
To: multiple recipients of <telecine at alegria.com>
Date: den 16 juli 1998 19:49
Subject: RE: [TIG] 480P - Anyone know what this is?

> Only if you're looking for an image that more closely mimics
>reality, which is not necessarily "better" if you're trying to present a
>dramatic narrative.

In previous discussions, many of us here have discussed
>the "departure from reality" that film presents so elegantly. Frame rates
>slower than human eye perception help to achieve this.

Personally, I think
>if you're trying to mimic reality for electronic presentation, you should
be
>shooting video, which has more "immediacy."

Thats a real can of worms there.But dont you think thatb feeling of
immediacy has more to do with the much more careless shooting that video
offers w.r.t to film which normally demands a more careful and planned
shooting?

If you're trying to tell a
>story, film is often a better visual storyteller. At 24 FPS.

Are you saying a story gets better if the temporal resolution is reduced?
Being a bit provicative is that not giving little credit to authors and
photographers?
Actually, in my opninion the lowe frame rate is a creative threshold that
most photographers are acutely aware of and limits them in scope of camera
movement. That "better" story telling is thus nothing but the limitations
imposed. Those limitations, for the sake of story telling, could be used in
any higher order media.

> >>Its motion portrayal and aliasing issues here. Any one have idea
>how we
> >>perceive grain structures at higher frame rates? My guess is it
>will just
> >>get better.

The point is that film as used for electronic distribution is not used at
its best. Film is and could still be for a long while a really future proof
media.

/mike reichel

---
Thanks to James Erickson & Dennis Mahaffay for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
995 subscribers in 39 countries on Fri Jul 17 14:22:44 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com