RE: ATV / DTV Standards

Martin Euredjian - in his otherwise excellent comments, suggests:-

 >>to agree on what 35mm film resolution is, and simply work in
fractions
of this<<

It's a common assumption that film resolution is going to stand still.
If it had done so in the past 20 years, then the original HDTV aims of
1125/ 1250 wouldn't have fallen as far short as they do now. Negative is
getting better all the time. How long before we got to "1.5x res" or
"double res"?

Still, I like the idea of fractional standards: it's reminiscent of a
common name for the 16mm film format when it first came in as a
non-professional film format in the "standard" world of 35mm film of the
1930s. 16mm was simply "sub-standard".  I believe a film processing
laboratory operated with that name for many years.

  Dominic Case
  Atlab Australia

---
Thanks to Queue Systems and Lipsner Smith for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
997 subscribers in 39 countries on Mon Jul 13 18:20:08 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com