From: Tom McMahon <tlm at microsoft.com>
To: 'Ron Martin' <ron at dvcc.com>; telecine user group <telecine at alegria.com>
Cc: Hank Vigil <hankv at microsoft.com>
Date: den 9 juli 1998 07:06
Subject: RE: 720 issues

People still confuse the acquisition/production formats with the
>post production formats and the encoding, emission and display formats.  In
>the digital television era all of these can and will be different.

Agreed.

 Most
>people in this business are far to used to working in a mode where the
>Telecine resolution is the same as the color correction resolution and
>that's that same as the transmission and display resolution.  NOT ANY MORE.
>Witness the Spirit.  Things are going to change quickly.

Its been in front of our eyes for along time know.

>It is entirely feasible that for 1-2 decades much of the high value content
>will be acquired at 2K resolution and yet displayed for the bulk of
American
>consumers at no more than 480P DTV resolution (twice today's NTSC
>resolution).  That in itself is not a bad thing.

Its a GREAT thing as 480P originating at 2K looks better  than 480P
originating in 480P

 For consumers, just going
>DTV is the biggest step.  What other countries do for emission remains to
be
>seen.
Look towards Europe where it is a bit diffrent actually, more relaxed and
more embracing DTV-computer technology

But it certainly won't all be HDTV (whatever the heck that is).

Yeah what is it? (please dont take on this question)
 And
>the capabilities of the actual consumer displays will be all over the map.
>(From NTSC analog to 480I to 1080I to flat panels and DLPs.)

Absolutely!

>It is of the utmost importance that the acquisition/production formats be
at
>the highest resolution possible consistent with the business at hand.

Seconded!

>Subsequent production steps may make certain tradeoffs.   But the use of
>1080-type Telecine technologies would be a big step forward, independent of
>what gets eventually transmitted.  The only thing that would be really
>important would be the consistency of the 3:2 pull down sequence.  If we
can
>keep that pristine then the emission format becomes irrelevant to the
>acquisition format if 1080I is used for storage and archiving of the
>original content.

The choices of frame rate should, and with DTV can be, the choice of
sufficient ;
1. Temporal resolution
2. Flicker
3. Allowable bitrate
Nothing else. Particularly not what used to be tradition (i.e 60 or 50 Hz)

/mike reichel

---
Thanks to Queue Systems and Lipsner Smith for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1001 subscribers in 39 countries on Mon Jul 13 07:49:32 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com