Re: 480P - Anyone know what this is?

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 15:24:05 -0700 , you wrote:
>And some of the broadcast networks (all of whom are losing overall viewer
>share at an alarming rate but are in public denial about it) are in such a
>huge panic that they are willing to let the wolf in the door and are
>willing to push its agenda, hoping against hope that it will not, in the
>long run, tear their throats out, which of course is exactly what it will
>do (dramatic, ain't it?).
>
>[TLM - You don't give America's broadcasters much intellectual credit,
>engineering sense or business acumen do you...?]

No.

Their engineering departments are mostly fine, but the ultimate decisions
are made by upper level suits with no intellect, engineering sense, or
business acumen. They have, for the most part, milked the hell out of the
cow for the last several decades while feeding her cardboard, and are now
panicking because the old girl is going dry. Last week, the combined FOUR
networks drew less than 43% of the total watching audience, according to
today's LA Times. Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

You and I will never agree on this issue because I find it impossible to
believe that the company you represent here is concerned with anything but
their own gain in this  I also don't believe that the next major step in
television standards should  be pushed by a group with little to no
broadcast, production, or post production experience who are urging us to
settle for "good enough" just so they can widen their presence and
influence.

What's next?  "What do you want to watch today?"

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE compositing.

Thanks to Doug Leighton, Ted Brady, & Gary Coates for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1004 subscribers in 38 countries on Fri Jul 10 08:22:02 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com