RE: 720 issues

I think you have an excellent suggestion that would be a boon to the entire
business if everyone understood (and adopted) this train of thought.
Unfortunately, as I discussed with various people at Quantel's ITS Forum
reception tonight - most people don't understand the basic premise that you
put forth.  People still confuse the acquisition/production formats with the
post production formats and the encoding, emission and display formats.  In
the digital television era all of these can and will be different.  Most
people in this business are far to used to working in a mode where the
Telecine resolution is the same as the color correction resolution and
that's that same as the transmission and display resolution.  NOT ANY MORE.
Witness the Spirit.  Things are going to change quickly.

It is entirely feasible that for 1-2 decades much of the high value content
will be acquired at 2K resolution and yet displayed for the bulk of American
consumers at no more than 480P DTV resolution (twice today's NTSC
resolution).  That in itself is not a bad thing.  For consumers, just going
DTV is the biggest step.  What other countries do for emission remains to be
seen.  But it certainly won't all be HDTV (whatever the heck that is).  And
the capabilities of the actual consumer displays will be all over the map.
(From NTSC analog to 480I to 1080I to flat panels and DLPs.)

It is of the utmost importance that the acquisition/production formats be at
the highest resolution possible consistent with the business at hand.
Subsequent production steps may make certain tradeoffs.   But the use of
1080-type Telecine technologies would be a big step forward, independent of
what gets eventually transmitted.  The only thing that would be really
important would be the consistency of the 3:2 pull down sequence.  If we can
keep that pristine then the emission format becomes irrelevant to the
acquisition format if 1080I is used for storage and archiving of the
original content.

Ron - I think you and I agree 100%.