RE: 480P - Anyone know what this is?

-----Original Message-----
From: bob at bluescreen.com [mailto:bob at bluescreen.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 1998 2:30 PM
To: multiple recipients of
Subject: Re: [TIG] 480P - Anyone know what this is?

On Wed, 08 Jul 1998 13:28:13 -0700, you wrote:
>By the way, every receiver manufacturer that has announced a HDTV product
line has
>said that they will NOT display 720p! They will convert to 480p or 1080i
because the
>720 scan frequency is simply to high and costly to drive bigger monitors.
So why are
>broadcasters insisting on a format that will (at least in the short term)
never be
>directly displayed?? And why should post houses go broke creating it when
there is
>an easier anwser??

[TLM - The answer to this first series of questions is that Congress is
going to continue to slap them around unless they keep promising that
they'll do at least some form of HDTV.  Now, if you are one of the
broadcasters (and there are quite a few) that believe in progressive
emissions formats, then it leaves you little choice but to emit your new
congressionally-required HDTV programs in 720P, given that those are the
only culturally acceptable progressive HDTV formats.

If you take the time to read ABC's and Fox's statements, you will find that
their research has led them to conclude that progressive emission formats
also compress better, produce a better quality delivered picture through an
MPEG-2 compression channel, and better match all of the emerging display
technologies - better quality delivered to the consumer than, for example
1080I through the same fixed-bitrate channel.]

Because the computer hardware and software giants are really really really
pushing hard for it. You can control the content if you can control its
form and display.

[TLM - That's utter nonsense.  You may have failed to note that
Matsushita/Panasonic, ABC, Disney, Fox, News, NDS, Bell Labs, TI, NTV,
Gennum, Leitch, some PBS management, and even some parts of NBC and CBS are
also in favor of progressive transmission formats.  You've also probably
failed to notice that Fujitsu and others have started announcing 720P and
768P flat panel display technologies.   Yes, CRTs are somewhat cheaper right
now, and they can produce 1080I at a lower price point than 720P native
(albeit maybe at lower actual resolution), but I wouldn't be my business on
that remaining status quo for very long.]

And some of the broadcast networks (all of whom are losing overall viewer
share at an alarming rate but are in public denial about it) are in such a
huge panic that they are willing to let the wolf in the door and are
willing to push its agenda, hoping against hope that it will not, in the
long run, tear their throats out, which of course is exactly what it will
do (dramatic, ain't it?).

[TLM - You don't give America's broadcasters much intellectual credit,
engineering sense or business acumen do you...?]

---
Thanks to Kevin Shaw, Avenue Edit, and Modern Video for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1003 subscribers in 38 countries on Wed Jul  8 15:24:42 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com