Re: DVNR

  Hello Benny,

 You wrote....

> snip  . I am referring to the dirt removal application of DVNR.
snip... Overuse eats away at any subtle light reflections, creating a
distracting 'pulsating' effect.. I am also constantly seeing
problematic transfers on AMC and TCM.

   One thing that is very distracting to me these days on television
is the use of very high compression being used in the signal
transmission process.   You sometimes see a sports program that is so
highly compressed that football face masks are disappearing as the
players move about.  I saw a baseball game on Fox recently that was
so bad that the ball was disappearing as it flew into the outfield.
They were showing a replay to determine if the player hit a homer
or it went off the top of the wall and the ball was completely
invisible as it neared the edge of the wall!   I'm not sure if it is
the signal providers or cable companys who are badly compressing/
decompressing the signal.   I just find it aggravating that on Monday
Night Football  the artifacts are some of the worse and you'd expect
that this was a premium game.  I don't know how much compression is
being used on AMC or TMC but I'm sure that in these cost cutting days
that some amount is being used.   It used to be that one satellite
transponder was used for one signal but with compression they can
jam about 9-10 programs in there.  With compression comes compression
problems.  These can be further aggravated by signal interference,
equipment problems with transmitters and receivers as well as poor
quality decompressors.  These problems do look very much like the
dirt fixing levels on a noise reducer were set too high.  To really
determine where the picture is getting unacceptable you would have to
work back to the original film transfer and find where it went wrong.
It really may be that the transfer was bad but one would not really
know until they could get their hands on the source tape.
  Yours Truly,
David Warner
Filmgroup at Crawford Communications
tel  404-875-5403  fax 404-875-4908
dnwarner at crawford.com

---
Thanks to Trans/EFX Systems for supporting the TIG in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1004 subscribers in 38 countries on Tue Jun 30 11:08:07 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com