Re: DVNR

For some of us, dealing with noise reducers is about 25 years worth of
experience. I remember seeing what I thought was the first "noise reducer" at
NAB in 1975 or so. It was made by Thompson, and I remember noting it for my
boss as being very milky looking when processed too much. However, I thought
it was amazing what it could do. I was astonished to see it on the output of
master control at KCOP when I took a job as a tape operator there in 1977.
Asking why it was on the output of the MC switcher, the answer was to "clean
up all video before it got sent to the Mt. Wilson transmitter". For the two
years I was there, the pictures everyone saw in Los Angeles were full of
motion artifacts, blurring, and loss of detail, but it was noise free !
Management succeeded in reducing noise at the expense of good video. Since
then, we've seen the "noise reducer" knob on the MKII DVE, ADO, K-scope, BVX
30, and every other TBC and frame store just about. So it seems to me that we
as a community of editors and colorists have had plenty of experience dealing
with the good and the bad in noise reduction. I just hate to see the "DVNR"
lumped in as the "Noise Reducer" box we all use or abuse. The DVNR I have
worked with is a superior devise with a lot of range to sharpen, noise reduce,
or totally destroy video if one wants to. It just takes someone who cares
about quality and knows "what's right".

So lets call "noise reduction" just that.

David Crosthwait
Burbank

---
Thanks to Trans/EFX Systems for supporting the TIG in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1004 subscribers in 38 countries on Thu Jun 25 23:01:03 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com