Re: DVNR

BENNY NEWMAN wrote:

> I wrote to this newsgroup recently regarding my concerns about the
> side-effects of the above. A statement was made that this was an
> excellent tool "when used sparingly" and "in the hands of an experienced
> operator". I don't work
> in the telecine area but that doesn't mean that I don't have an eye to
> recognise what DVNR is and what destructive results it is capable of.

I am one who has defended the use of DVNR in telecine in this discussion
group.  I fully understand how it can be abused and how the results can
be less than desirable. The first thing I would like to do is clear up
some mis-information regarding this device.

DVNR is the name of a noise reduction system make by Digital Vision of
Sweden.  It is not a generic term to describe any noise reducer.  Some
of the problems that Mr. Newman complained about may have resulted from
too much signal processing in the telecine that did not have a DVNR, but
some other type of noise reducer.

Laser discs have some compression artifacts, and noise reduction is
often used post telecine, during the encoding process.  Not all the
problems seen on a home theater system are the result of too much
enhancement in the telecine, some of them are the result of compression,
and the players and monitors that people have in their homes.

On balance, the pictures you see at home look better, not worse, as a
result of using noise reduction in telecine.  If you could see what some
of the film material that is being transferred looks like before it has
been filtered through the noise reducer, you would be glad that devices
such as the DVNR exist.

Lastly, we as colorists are often at the mercy of those who are
supervising our telecine sessions, and sometimes they will insist on
more noise reduction that we think is prudent, and now matter how much
we may object, they continue to insist, and we must relent.  It is they,
after all, who pay our bills.  And there may be a few colorists that due
to their inexperience will apply a little too much noise reduction, but
that is no reason to make a blanket condemnation of a signal processing
device that has done far more good than harm in the transfer process.

My advice to Mr. Newman, buy a DVD player! :-)

---
Thanks to Trans/EFX Systems for supporting the TIG in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1005 subscribers in 38 countries on Thu Jun 25 14:45:06 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com