Re: Panasonic DVCPRO50

>Has anyone experience of this format? Is it really uncompressed like D1?
No it is compressed. DVCPro is essentially a DCT compression like JPEG or
MPEG and relies on asics developed by panasonic for DV compression.
Material compressed to 50mbits/sec shows a decidedly increased noise floor
over the d-1 source. That is the main picture artifact.

 It
>certainly takes up less shelf space.
for archive distribution copies MPEG takes up even less. DVCPro is
envisioned as a production format.

Does anyone see it taking over from
>D1?
No but Panasonic hopes it will take over the niche currently occupied by
AVR77 for on air production. The fact that you can comingle DVC and DVCPro
data means that news is clearly a target with the location work done at DVC
(25mbits) and the studio shot at 50.

 There must be a snag somewhere (?).
First rule of compression - don't concantenate codecs. Now if we just take
this DVC50 stream and ATSC encode it we can...

James Fancher
Chief Science Officer
POP
730 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

310 458-3300 voice
310 394-6852 fax
310 319-1750 direct line

---
Thanks to John Seberg and Don Ver Ploeg for supporting the TIG in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1003 subscribers in 38 countries on Wed Jun 24 12:52:46 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com