Video Release: PAL and NTSC

>Is there any advantage going to PAL first (from telecine) and then making
>an NTSC copy from the Pal video?
>
>Steve McWilliams

Well this is what the producers are proposing based on the long
estimate of Rank/DaVinci time the post house is proposing for the
second (NTSC) pass.

It is my hope that this option is not pursued since (I'm guessing
here) it would seem to be more likely to suffer a generation (or
conversion) degradation.  Am I wrong here?

Can you make an NTSC dub from a PAL D-Beta without compromising the
NTSC product?   Or is it better to transfer to NTSC from the Rank?

D.P.

---
Thanks to John Seberg and Don Ver Ploeg for supporting the TIG in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1001 subscribers in 38 countries on Tue Jun 23 21:18:23 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com