PAL plus NTSC Transfer

This lurker's  first post to TIG....

I'm being drawn into a situation where a low budget feature has no
post-supervisor and they need help getting their video transfer done.
I'm too busy to step in and *guard* my work and I need help in giving
them advice.

What would the procedure be for transfering (from IP) to D-Beta in PAL
AND NTSC? They are being told it will take half again as long to
generate the transfer of the second format.  I would have thought that
after spending 16-20 hours grading the picture it would be a simple
matter of transferring real-time to each format, maybe even
concurrently.

The other issue is amount-of-time for the grading.  What should they
allow for this part of the process.  I have tranferred MOW's in eight
hours but that's not enough time to do a good job.  I have been
lobbying for sixteen hours but am curious about industry norms.

D.P.
Cinematographer/Toronto

---
Thanks to John Seberg and Don Ver Ploeg for supporting the TIG in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1003 subscribers in 38 countries on Mon Jun 22 19:24:40 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com