Re: DVD Dailies?

Anders and PJ wrote:

> Please excuse my ignorance in this area:  Can anyone tell me if it is
> possible to transfer (negative) directly to DVD?

I'm not sure it would be possible to go directly to DVD.  You would need
to send the encoded D1 video it to a hard drive.  The audio would need
to be encoded separately and then multiplexed with the video to a test
disk. In the very near future there will be DVD recorders, and at that
time it will be more practical.  The quality won't be what it is on a
DVD compressed with an expensive variable bit rate encoder, but for
dailies, I don't think it would be a big issue.

Possible?  Perhaps, but not very practical right now, and very
expensive. But the technology is moving very fast, and it will be
possible sooner than you might think.  It's possible now to store
telecine images directly to hard drives. MPEG 2 encoding is more
complicated and utilizes much higher compression ratios than current
hard drive dailies systems, but I doubt that dailies to DVD is that far
off.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that there are companies
testing systems right now.

Phil Voss

---
Thanks to John Seberg and Don Ver Ploeg for supporting the TIG in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
1002 subscribers in 38 countries on Mon Jun 22 14:09:39 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com