RE: Aaton Code - dailies

>>What they want to do is to be able to record the audio / Aaton code
>>and the camera assist output and use this video to input into their
>>Avid.  <<

>Case Dominic on 5/11/98 1:47 AM wrote:

>Don't forget your editor won't be seeing what's on the film. Fogged,
>under-exposed or scratched neg won't be detected until the daily
>transfers are checked.

Forget the editor, what about the DP? Doesn't he want to see dailies?

As a sound mixer and studio owner, I see nothing but potential for
problems. I've deleted the original post, but I think I remember the
gist. If budget is such an issue, then the kind of people who have enough
experience to really make this happen in a money saving way are probably
not going to be involved. There isn't going to be someone to blame on
this except for the accountant.

>As for the technique itself, it sounds OK as long as everything is kept
>simple (!) and the obvious problems are addressed. There are variations
>in the ways different software resolves the DF/NDF and 3:2 pulldown
>conflicts. The people who have a clear understanding of exactly how
>every timecode conversion and correction should work are few and far
>between.

It can theoretically be done, but you had better make triple sure that
the sound mixer, audio post facility, editing facility, transfer
facility, et al REALLY have the know how to make this happen _together_
because that's what it will take. Don't let them all say, "yeah, we can
do that." as they reach for a bookshelf full of manuals.

jrm

John McDaniel <johnmcd at iac.net> Sonic Arts Digital Audio Srvcs, Inc.
 "The public are swine and advertising is the
   rattling of a stick in the swill bucket."  G. ORWELL

---
Thanks to Video Post and Transfer for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
979 subscribers in 36 countries on Mon May 11 21:09:29 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com