Picture Distortion- can of worms

Michel LaPointe writes:-

>>     film people that do not understand what this fuss is all about. <<

Sure - we understand the fuss.  It's . . . . .

>>     "Germans lab may refuse it..."<<

>>     I sure as hell dont want to start a war here , but am I the only one
getting this answer???.<<

So you hear it too. I think it has become a worldwide standard reply.
Before jumping splices it was colour grading: everything had to be
magenta!

It seems that the German industry, quite correctly, sets very high
technical standards, and programmers, distributors, producers, and
everyone else in the line finds they are forced to live by them.  There
are even people who earn their living as finishing agents, who undertake
to supervise telecine mastering up to German standards. The rest of us
live in fear of faxes in a foreign language that we are told are
technical rejection reports.

Of course we should all aim for the highest possible standards: who
would dare argue for  less?  If your product is OK, why would you argue
away your advantage?: if your product fails to meet the standard, who'll
take you seriously?

But there's a good and a not-so-good way to apply standards:-

If it takes a frame-by-frame analysis on telecine to detect frame jumps,
the response, ideally, shoud be: "hey, there's a problem that should be
tackled before it gets worse".  If  it isn't tackled, probably the next
production will have a bigger problem that can be seen at normal speed,
and rejected totally.  That way, the viewing public sees perfectly good
technical standards, the industry aims for better than that, and we
don't waste innumerable resources chasing invisible (and all to often
incurable) problems.

Does anyone have a simple way of explaining this two-teir QC approach
(green=OK, yellow=OK this time but check your equipment, red=reject this
time) to non-technical people?  Auf Deutsch? It's a real problem, and
not just with distorted splices.

Comments, arguments, anyone?

  Dominic Case
  Atlab Australia

---
Thanks to Video Post and Transfer for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
979 subscribers in 36 countries on Sun May 10 19:17:26 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com