Re: Some Queries About DVNR

Hi Amid,

I hope you'll take the points which follow in the spirit of trying to be
helpful.  In our business, "DVNR" stands for Digital Vision Noise Reducer,
which is the brand name of a product that reduces electronic and film noise in
a video image.  The term is not commonly used to refer to a process, since
noise reduction is a more or less standard procedure in video on many types of
images--not just cartoons.  There are and have been products on the market
other than those of Digital Vision that serve similar purposes.

>> I was hoping to get a small explanation of how DVNR works in terms that
readers >> without much knowledge of technical terms could understand.  The
article is      >> being written for artists and not technical folk so I can't
make it too academic.

This is a complicated question; the Digital Vision company makes a couple of
models of digital noise reducers, each of which can be fitted with optional
boards to add features as desired.  And as was mentioned above there are other
digital noise reducers on the market besides.  Consequently one would have to
know the configuration of a specific unit to explain all that it does.

Generally speaking, however, digital noise reducers work on the theory that
artifacts like film grain, dust and dirt particles, electronic noise, and the
like have certain numeric characteristics in the digital video domain.  A fast
processor can be programmed to detect these and replace the unwanted pixels in
the image with other pixels from previous frames or interpolated from
surrounding pixels.  This has the effect of making the dirt, noise, etc.,
disappear out of the video image.  Included in the processing of most noise
reducers is the capability of image enhancement, which sharpens up the detail
as desired.

>> Secondly, I was hoping somebody could maybe provide some info. as to why
>> DVNR occassionally messes up cartoons - can this be attributed to the
process >> itself or the editors who work with the technology or some other
factors?

That is a rather general condemnation!  Digital Vision's noise reducers are
highly respected throughout the industry and I'd be willing to bet they're
wondering why anybody would say their product "occasionally messes up
cartoons."  That is definitely not the experience of those of us who work with
these units!  Any video noise reducer is capable of trashing an image if it is
not used properly, if the unit malfunctions, or if one attempts to use it to
correct situations it was never designed to cope with.

Best regards,
Christopher Bacon

---
Thanks to Richard Anthony and Grant Keith for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
979 subscribers in 36 countries on Fri May  8 11:34:38 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com