Re: PICTURE DISTORTION

This can be an attribute of a misaligned negative hotsplice. Sometimes it
creates an optical distortion which actually is apparent in the print (or
interpositive) from that negative - caused by a misalignment in the
physical printer as that splice travels through, faster than realtime. Of
course, it would be apparent in all of the intermediate distribution
elements as well (IP, and the IN from that IP, and the resulting release
prints).

An examination of the assembled negative rolls from which the IP was struck
is the start. If there is a misalignment, then * sometimes * the negative
splice can be coaxed apart and reglued without losing frames. Only the
negative cutter can give you a recommendation on that. That is in the case
of a typical overlapping butt splice on a negative.

----------
>     Project was feature film transfer from interpositive. While we were
>doing scratch removal in editing after transfer, the editor noticed that
on some rolls, the first couple of frames >after each splice show a very
little distortion. The picture will jump and deform a little before going
back to >normal. Something you cannot see at normal speed: only when
>you look at the tape frame by frame.
>    We transfered another print from this roll and the same problem showed
up. Everything
>points toward the neg assembly or the printer but I can't seem to get a
firm answer as to what causes this >problem. (printing process, splicer,
neg cutter...)

---
Thanks to Tim Ready of VAS Group for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
980 subscribers in 36 countries on Mon May  4 18:11:01 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com