RE: Production design for B&W to color spot.

>Having said that, I too would choose colour negative, (with b/w
>lighting) simply 'cos we all know how to handle it (in the lab, on the
>telecine etc).  And you can go back to colour when the agency changes
>its mind. ;-)

Hi,
I have to agree with Dominic for practical reasons. I won't argue with the
purists out there because I believe b/w stock exists for a reason.
In the commercial world, however, b/w stock use adds to the already established
craziness of the post production process. Why add the hassle of having to
find a lab that processes b/w? Why suggest that our clients bring us a
stock that we have to do tricks with to keep from making their images dirty
due to the emulsion shedding? Our color correction systems today have
tremendous lattitude to create gamma curves using color stock that simulate
b/w. Most importantly though, having the option to have a scene be color or
b/w or anything in between
at the last minute is why I reccomend against shooting b/w stock. Creatives
often change their minds at the 11th hour. Of course they can always
colorize
their b/w stock for a butload of money. Some of my clients have done it,
not for the creative looks you can obtain with that process but just to get
some kind of color images. Often times, the amount of money spent on a
project seems to add to its' "creative credability." Where there's
confusion, there's money to be made.

                                       Respectfully, Pete