Fw: RE>Re: Using filters

MARTIN,
  APOLOGIES FOR THIS COMING DIRECTLY TO YOU AGAIN, THIS TERMINAL I'M USING
IN THE SUITE DOESN'T SEEM TO WANT TO SEND IT TO ANYONE BUT YOU, WIERD.  I'D
APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD FORWARD IT TO THE REST OF THE GROUP ON MY BEHALF
WHILE I GET THIS GLITCH SORTED OUT.

ANYWAY ABOUT THESE COLOURED FILTERS, WE DON'T EVER USE COLOURED FILTERS
BECAUSE THE COLOUR EFFECT IS REVERSED WHEN USING THEM IN NEG TRANSFERS. WE
TEND TO USE THE GRADING CONTROLS TO ACHIEVE SIMILAR AND OFTEN MORE SUBTLE
EFFECTS.
WHILE ON A RECENT VISIT TO COPENHAGEN AT A SMALL FACILITY THERE CALLED JOHAN
ANKERSTJERNE I WAS EXPERIMENTING WITH FILTERS WITH THEIR COLORISTS[JORGEN,
RENE AND PIETER] AND WE STUMBLED ACCROSS SOMETHING WHICH MAY PROVE QUITE
USEFUL WHICH WE HADN'T REALISED BEFORE, NAMELY THAT IF YOU ALIGN THE
TELECINE WITH A BLACK SUPER-MIST TYPE FILTER AND THEN PLAY A PIECE OF
OVER-EXPOSED NEG, IT WILL GIVE THE EFFECT OF THAT PIECE OF NEG BEING FAR
LESS OVER-EXPOSED THAN IT ACTUALLY IS, BUT WITHOUT THE 'BLOOMING' EFFECT
USUALY ASSOCIATED WITH THIS KIND OF FILTER. THE NICE THING ABOUT THIS IS
THAT YOU HAVE MUCH MORE RANGE LEFT ON THE TELECINE BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT
COMPENSATING SO MUCH FOR THE OVER-EXPOSURE WITH GRADING CONTROLS.
OBVIOUSLY,THE CAMERAMEN WE ALL WORK WITH ARE ALL SO GOOD THAT IT SHOULDN'T
BE NECE
SSARY THAT OFTEN, BUT YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THE STOP IS GOING TO GET KNOCKED !
I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT ONCE THE TELECINE IS ALLIGNED, THE FILTER SHOULD BE
REMOVED. ALSO, INTERESTINGLY, THE REVERSE HAS LITTLE OR NO EFFECT ON PRINT.
HOPE THIS MIGHT HELP SOMEONE OUT SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE.

ADRIAN SEERY, DIR. TELECINE, RUSHES LONDON

---
Thanks to Howie Burch/Nice Shoes for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
959 subscribers in 36 countries on Wed Apr 15 10:58:28 PDT 1998
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com